Wednesday, November 01, 2006

cnn.com: Dentists prefer chocolate Halloween candy

I take my profession seriously but who am I to deny children the best part of Halloween...the wicked pile of candy hard-earned by hours of trudging door to door in the elements and in an itchy costume, no less? It is in that spirit that I was pleased to see a cnn.com video snippet today featuring a pediatric dentist pleading with tiny trick-or-treaters to preferably eat chocolate and brush their teeth afterward if they absolutely must indulge in their Halloween spoils. Because chocolate sticks to the teeth for a shorter amount of time than certain hard candies and anything chewy, it presents a decreased risk of tooth demineralization and decay. Therefore, according to some hazy-6th-grade-logic, dentists say we should eat all the chocolate we want. Yahoo!

Speaking of all-the-chocolate-I-want, I've been delighted by the idea that I might actually get trick-or-treaters this year because we moved off-campus. I rushed home and to Target to get some candy for the little costumed rugrats and had the bowl ready to go by the door. Even though my friend and neighbor Rick said that he didn't have any kiddos come by last year, I hoped beyond hope that I'd have some little soul to celebrate with (and encourage to brush and floss!). Lo and behold, my candy bowl was just as full and my doorbell just as unrung at 9 pm as it was at 6 pm (save for the three mini Twix bars that Josh and I had between the two of us). *sigh* I called my Mom to lament and she excitedly mentioned that they had "a lot of trick-or-treaters" and that there was "a whole new generation of kids now!" *double sigh* I can't wait to have my own house so I can pass out candy and put up those adorable lawn stakes and flags for every holiday.

At any rate, so passed my favorite of all favorite holidays with a whole lotta studying and a little too much munching from the candy bowl. I've posted my pics below from the annual dental school Halloween party hosted by Delta Sigma Delta. I played the Great Wantonamo's assistant in a rather precarious situation and we had a great time in our costumes. This year was the first that we had a matching/related costume so we got a kick out of it. Enjoy the pictures and don't forget to floss tonight!

Happy Halloween!


xoxox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home