Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Wait...it's supposed to be Spring now?

That's right, folks; while the Spring Equinox was officially yesterday, I had to cover my ears with my hands from the whipping wind walking home today. I've lived in Michigan my whole life but have never quite taken the hint that mid-March means nothing more than basketball in this state. *sigh* It's alright, I guess...as long as it's not too long before I can comfortably bust out the flip-flops. I hate wearing socks!

At any rate, here are my thoughts for the evening. As always, do with them what you will:

1.) Dental "Prom" is this coming Friday, 3/24, and I haven't yet decided if I'm going or not. I'm definitely not one of those still-jaded-from-high-school-dances types nor am I one to turn down an opportunity to get dressed up. I think it'd be nice to put a little effort into my appearance seeing as how my unofficial school uniform has become scrubs, a tee, and a fleece. I'll probably end up going, perhaps as an excuse to not study cardiology on a Friday night if nothing else.

2.) Instead of studying for my Microbiology of Caries test tomorrow, I sat down and watched two consecutive Discovery Channel shows. One was "Cash Cab" which is basically "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" with unsuspecting NYC cab patrons. The inside of this cab-van is equipped with a video monitor and a disco floor-style light-up ceiling. It's quite hilarious to see hardened New Yorkers (not that you're all hardened, Shadi darling!) grabbing a routine ride to work shout out answers like "the Galapagos Islands!" at the top of their lungs inside of a cab and walk out with $500 cash. I also watched a fascinating episode of MythBusters in which they attempted to prove or disprove the myth that a bullet can be caught in someone's teeth. They actually rigged up devices using the same set of prosthetic teeth we use in lab and talked about enamel, dentin, biting force, etc. It was right up my alley and I convinced myself that watching it was akin to studying for an hour!

3.) I found out last night that the scary research proposal I've been working on for a little while has been funded for this summer so I'm thrilled about that. I'll be working in the same lab where I spent my year off from school and will be writing up a paper and making a poster at the end of the project in February 2007, both of which will be invaluable experiences for me :)

4.) To celebrate The Bard's birthday this year, the Royal Shakespeare Company will be performing all of Shakespeare's plays in his hometown of Stratford-upon-Avon for the next calendar year beginning this April. The start of the plays happens to be during the week I have off between winter and spring terms so I'm trying desperately to find cheap tickets to London and coerce my sister into going with me. Cross your fingers for me that there's a fare sale so I don't have to miss this once-in-a-lifetime (albeit ridiculously geeky) opportunity!

5.) During a lecture on heart rate and blood pressure yesterday, I opened my Snapple bottle. The trivia fact inside of the lid said: "a hummingbird's heart beats 1,400 times a minute!" Fascinating...but I just can't get away from this stuff!

6.) Below are pictures from St. Patrick's Day (night?) celebrated at Scott's house. He adorably decorated the place with balloons and clovers and even alternated green and white Solo cups. I wore all of my green anything during the cruise and during the day on Friday so I was basically green with envy that everyone else was dressed so festively. Someone even remarked: "but Sonya, you're the festive one!" I know! Total holiday faux pas on my part.

Cheers!

xoxox

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Congratulations on getting the funding for your research project!

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home