Monday, February 13, 2006

Pringle update, nitrous oxide, and lovin' love

I must type quicky because I'm currently on borrowed computer time from Josh while he's out "having a few beers and watching sports" at the bar to drown his sorrows after our brutal 60-lecture neurology exam today. I, on the other hand, have a really intimidating and anxiety-inducing presentation to give on Wednesday to the review committee for the D-school's Summer Research Program. I basically have to convince them that I understand a ton about intracellular signaling in squamous cell carcinoma and that they should give me a small fortune as a stipend to research it further this summer. Instead, I'm writing in my weblog and making my valentines later tonight (speaking of which, note the font color change in honor of said holiday). Here are a few thoughts of the moment:

1.) Miles Davis rocks. Sometimes I feel like his trumpet is singing directly to me.

2.) Josh looked up details on the Pringle on the internet (see post from 1/18/06). My mom was right; it is indeed an auditorium. I'm not quite sure how I feel about knowing the truth now. I'll admit to feeling a little emptier every morning when I walk to school. There's something to be said about maintaining the small mysteries in life. *sigh* I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with not understanding how under-water tunnels are built.

3.) My old computer has been replaced and a new Dell notebook is en route to me as we speak (as I type?). I don't know the difference between a kilogram and a megabyte so Josh did a lot of the shopping for me. It'll be hard to say goodbye to my Inspiron 500. It's gotten me through countless papers and late-night instant messaging all through college and beyond. I'm miss the little guy.

4.) I literally studied the entire weekend starting from 8 pm Friday night, well over 12 hours Saturday, and the same on Sunday. The only consolation I got was the hilarious and very immature discovery that nitrous oxide, an inhalation anesthetic frequently used in dental offices (a.k.a. "laughing gas"), has a side effect of flatulence in addition to excessive laughter due to its high lipid solubility. Did a 7th grade boy design that anesthetic or what? Just imagine the possibilities! I laughed so hard at this thought of cyclical entertainment that I had to call my sister. I can't wait to administer nitrous in my office.

5.) I posted recently about taking advice from Dory of Finding Nemo fame. Oddly, my friend Solomon is The Fish Guy (no, literally...he's doing his PhD in aquatic ecology) and noticed my misnomer of Dory as an angel fish. He emailed me with a gentle correction noting that Dory is indeed a blue fin fish and I promised that I would acknowledge my mistake in the name of weblog accuracy and integrity. Thanks for the fish knowledge, Solomon...just watch out for any dental-related tidbits you might be keen on posting! :)

6.) Finally, tomorrow is the big day: Valentine's, V, or Dooms for those of you haters out there. For me, Valentine's Day is a wonderful excuse to wear pink and eat chocolate so I love it. That and I almost sickeningly love love and even though Josh and I don't really do anything special for February 14th, I still enjoy it. I think anyone can be anyone's Valentine so I try to remember to tell my friends and family that I love them too. I guess that's a good idea any day of the year, though. For tomorrow...I'll take the chocolate.

Well, it's back to presentation preparation for me. Expect a post gushing over my new computer this week and maybe...just maybe...tales of a tiny bit of fun this weekend. Maybe ;)

Will you be my Valentine?

xoxox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home