Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Freedom, indeed

Ahhh. I'm back from the 4 day weekend I finagled out of my mentor. Technically, Monday was not a holiday for employees of the University and seeing as how I don't really command any vacation days in this research program, I had to drop the "I was planning on spending the long weekend with my parents" bomb. Kablooey! Don't get me wrong, it's totally true but it's just a well-known fact that most parents, whether accomplished cancer researchers or not, cannot turn down good ol' family time in good conscience. I just exploited it a lil' bit. Thus, I was granted a pardon and I spent the long weekend eating, sun bathing ("like a lizard on a rock" as my sister once described my sol- worshipping tendencies), shopping, wedding-ing, reading, and sleeping. I'm thrilled to have a shortened week now as I'm already way over the hump!

At any rate, I've been pretty emotionally polarized lately and thought it might best to blog my thoughts in discreet sets rather than stream-of-consciousness. Here goes:

Things that have elated me recently:
- I've finally found the time to crack open a book or two lately. All this science and dentistry leaves my brain's right lobe to wither away and even if I don't burn through my must-read list in the next 6 weeks, it's relaxing and a nice change of pace to sit down and read.

- Moving day draws near. While ordinarily this would stress me out beyond belief, you cannot imagine the joy I take in knowing that in a week and a half I will have a dishwasher and my own washer and dryer. That and knowing I will not be living on a major road (traffic at 6:15 am is LOUD!), will not be living below someone, and will not have to deal with any more college-style bass nearly brings me to tears.

- I heard a rumor that the seventh and final Harry Potter book will be released on 7/7/07. Eeeeeee!


Things that have bummed me out recently:
- my cell phone has bitten the dust. I can't hear out of it and the screens are blank white. Fortunately, it's being replaced for free on Friday so I guess I'm not bummed out about it anymore. Nevermind!

- My knees are inflammed and painful. I had a sports M.D. check me out and he sent me to physical therapy for my IT band issue and my inflammation. I'm very impatient when it comes to health-related appointments and despise having to leave work for them. Although the physical therapist was wonderful and kind, I almost spatted "hurry it up already, lady!" as she was analyzing my stride. Fortunately, my IT band seems to have healed so with some ice and strengthening, I should be okay to start training for the Detroit Free Press half marathon. Hey, I guess I'm not bummed out about this anymore either! I knew keeping a blog would come in handy!

- I have cavities :( My family dentist confirmed that I had two class II incipient lesions when I went in for a cleaning over the holidays but they were so small we decided to watch and wait. I'm bummed out and blame my pre-sugar free vanilla days at Starbucks.

- Global warming. I'm really looking forward to seeing An Inconvenient Truth but know that I'll probably feel anxious for a while after watching it. At least that anxiety is a good call to action, right?


Well, this is a weird post and I briefly considered revising it but I'm very hungry and can't stop thinking about my Mom's homemade vegetarian Swedish meatballs in the fridge. I hope that you, my lovely readers, reflect on what's been (as I eloquently put it) "bumming you out" lately and like me come to realize it ain't no thang but a chicken wang.

Good day.

xoxox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home