Thursday, April 15, 2004

Well, I certainly have a lot to say today, so perhaps list form would work best. Here we go:

1.) Mad props are in order to my good pal Christin whose comment on my last post literally made me laugh out loud at the Grad library and draw a few suspicious glances. Her reference to "Super Undergarment Woman" was, trust me, brilliant and timely and though I'm bound to an ancient 7th grade vow of secrecy as to its meaning, it was a beautiful reference, nonetheless. I'm looking forward to seeing my Kentwood friends again soon! :) For old times' sake, below is a picture of Christin and I rocking air guitars on New Years Eve 1999-2000; one of our finer photographs together, if i do say so myself:



*note a skinnier, more muscular me back in the day. sigh*

2.) Tonight was my physics lab final. I think it went well, though I feel completely disinclined to say that about any science-related exam I take at U of M. Unfortunately, I've been burned too many times on exams that I "felt" like I did well on, so I'll just wait and see how my results turn out. Here's hoping for the best. (psst: I already threw my lab manual, my lab notebook, and all of my notes away!) :D

3.) Tonight was also my last bi-weekly meeting for the SAPAC Crisis Line. Now, many of you from U of M probably know what's going on with the fragmentation of SAPAC services (not to mention enormous cuts to student affairs programs!) and here's me telling you that this is an absolute travesty to the University community. For numerous reasons, I am deeply saddened and disappointed in this uninformed, politically-driven decision and it makes my leaving the Crisis Line even more difficult knowing that this program won't be here in the fall for other women to experience. I'm trying not to be negative anymore and to just reflect back upon my own experiences and recognize the ways in which I've truly grown as a result of this organization over the past three years. Never before have I been in close contact with such a unique and inspiring group of people, let alone women, to whom I have felt so close for the little time I spend with them. In addition to working toward ending sexualized violence, I have been deeply touched by every volunteer I've worked with over the past threee years and will miss them and the Crisis Line immensely. I had a lot of trouble not being emotional tonight...hell, I burst into tears just like every one else...and will certainly carry these experiences and memories with me for the rest of my life.

4.) Big work to do this weekend. Physics final next Friday, 8-page paper to finish, and 4 novels to read by a week from Monday...yikes! It's that time of the year...which leads me to...

5.) The Big G in 16 days. Wow. AJ and I were talking today about how weird/scary/sad it is to graduate and, unlike high school, not have a common place to return to and visit your old friends after it's all over. AJ actually said that she was getting "irritable" just thinking about all of the implications of graduating. Although I'm looking forward to all of the big and exciting changes for me in the next few years, I'm feeling very sad about leaving good friends here (I know I've said this a million times). *sigh*

I guess that's about it for now. I'm sure I have more to say, but I'm sleepy my eyes keep closing unintentionally. I'm going to bed waaaaay early tonight and having a productive day tomorrow. I wish the same for you, good friend! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home