Friday, October 08, 2004

At a loss for floss

Oh, life's little daily ironies.

Today was the perfect day to grab a veggie hot dog (or two) from the corner vendor on my lunch break. Unfortunately, as do many soy "meat" products, veggie hot dogs often have a thready consistency and after two of said hot dogs, I felt like I had an entire meal stuck between my teeth. I walked back to work, grabbed my toothbrush and paste for my usual after-lunch cleaning, and proceeded to vigorously and thoroughly brush my teeth.

After brushing for what had to have been more than 3 minutes, I could still feel soy hot dog between my teeth. I sat down at my bench to run an experiment but the feeling of food stuck in my teeth was killing me, so I decided to ask my co-worker Brad for some floss. I asked him specifically because Brad not only practices good oral hygiene but is also a licensed dentist. Much to my surprise, he said that he didn't have any because he flosses at home at night. It was then that I realized the comedy of the situation - I, being a prospective dental student with good oral hygiene myself, was in need of floss. My co-worker, a dentist, didn't have any, nor did anyone in our lab, which just happens to be located in the University of Michigan School of Dentistry. Just my luck.

Eventually, Brad found a rogue box of floss in some "supply closet" somewhere (he was unusually sketchy about this) and saved the day. But from now on, you'd better believe that mini sample box of floss is staying on my person at all times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home