Thursday, May 25, 2006

...can't...post...too...busy...

I have a major love-hate relationship with spring semester. The latter always predominates as I'm trekking to my 8 am class every morning in proper clinic attire (a description of which in our manual of conduct emphatically does not include flip-flops) or if I'm stuck indoors studying on a Saturday when it's sunny and 70 outside. However, the former is basically the rest of it. We've been seeing our first "real" patients recently and have had a lot of time off because we're rotating in and out of the clinics. I had a glimpse of what life might be like for some real dentists on Tuesday as I saw a patient in the morning and golfed nine holes in the afternoon. Ahhhhhh. My sister remarked that was borderline bourgeoise but hey, I can still help people and earn a green jacket at the same time, right? ;) At any rate, we're at the half-way mark for the semester and I'm really looking forward to having some time off from school. Although I'm having a lot of fun this term with softball, golf, the NBA playoffs, and friends, I'll be thrilled to have 6 weeks of freedom from homework. The thought alone just made me smile.

At any rate, here are a few thoughts of late in a cohesive list format:

1.) I've recently heard from a few of my good high school friends and even though I'm yet to return their calls (sorry Christin and Michelle!) I was thrilled to get their messages. I love that I still regularly keep in touch with women that I've grown up with, many of whom I've known for almost 13 years now! Last summer a few of us took a girls' weekend trip down to Cincinnati and had a great time; I'm hoping we can pull another one together this year.

2.) I finished reading The DaVinci Code last Friday night and saw the movie Saturday afternoon. Overall, an entertaining read and movie but the latter could have been a little more suspenseful in my opinion. TIME magazine suggested that adapting the book to a movie format might have been a misstep as breaking the code of, say, a riddle in iambic pentameter with a solution in ancient Greek isn't entertaining for most people. Speak for yourselves, TIME! (pushes glasses up nose with index finger)

3.) I love, love, LOVE Google. I learn so much with the help of that little search engine every day that it's a wonder we lived without it. When Josh needed to tie a Windsor knot for a wedding last summer, we Googled it and found an illustrated how-to diagram. When I wanted to know what really is "Davey Jones' locker" today at lunch, we Googled it and found out. Google settled the laying-cable-on-the-bottom-of-the-ocean dispute with my Dad last summer and has aided in the search for countless sound lyrics over the years. *sigh* I think I'll go Google stuff after I'm done writing this--anyone know how fruit pieces get suspended in Jell-O? I will soon!

I guess that's enough nonsense for now. I'll sign off with my favorite quotation from TIME's Verbatim section in this week's issue:

"Senator Hillary Clinton is being criticized because she recently called today's college kids lazy and uninformed. A spokesperson for college kids said: 'Whatever, lady from TV.'" -- Conan O'Brien


xoxox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home