Monday, March 29, 2004

Apparently, this weekend was all about weblog neglect. I'll try to make up for it.

This weekend was a lot of fun. Friday my mom came up to hang out and I basically spent the rest of Friday night worrying about DP Day with AJ and wasting time. Well, not wasting time, really...we were trying to come up with ice breakers for our volunteers to do since we were both site leaders. Some of the examples DP suggested were pretty lame (alliterate your name with adjectives that describe you, i.e. "I'm slippery Sonya and I like smiling at snakes"...AJ's brilliant creation), so we tried to come up with our own. Eventually, that just turned into ideas for "ice breakers" that we thought would give us a laugh, and we finally decided that making 20 volunteers who are all complete strangers play spin-the-bottle would be totally inappropriate albeit funny as hell. DP Day the next day turned out to be a lot of fun and we had absolutely gorgeous weather. I was co-site leaders with my pal Adina and our site was working with St. Christine's Community Center to clean up trash in a community garden, playground, lay soil and woodchips in the garden, and help demolish and clean up a deteriorated garage. Our site was pretty large with 21 volunteers and they were pretty darn hard-working. I was definitely impressed even though the pep was non-existent at 10:30 in the morning when I asked if everybody was ready to have fun (come on...I'm an ex-cheerleader!). Perhaps that was way too lame. At any rate, everything at our site went smoothly (they even provided veggie burgers for lunch) and DP Day 2004 was a great success. Congratulations are in order since Stephie is on the Planning Team and works her tail off year-round to make DP Day and other DP projects run smoothly, so congratulations Steph on a job well done! :)

Saturday night, Sheila, AJ, Josh and I literally sat in my apartment ALL TOGETHER not making a peep and studied for a solid 2.5 hours even though we were all within 100 square feet of each other. Why the intensity on a Saturday night? Basically, we decided that if we all worked hard enough for a few hours, we would reward ourselves with a trip to Rick's...and some Backroom pizza. Even though we all did a great job and deserved a night out, apparently the rest of U of M had the same idea because we ended up waiting in line for over an hour. I should have known that the hint of warm weather would drive every college kid in a 10 mile radius to the bar! Anyhow, we ended up having a good time and Shadi and her friend Sandra ended up joining us, too. Sunday I worked like you would not believe on my 3 lab reports due today and went to a Crisis Line potluck and game night. Let me just tell you that physics is slowly beginning to drive me crazy - I'll be the first to admit that I love buouancy and that I'm fascinated by centripetal motion, but 126 is the most tedious class I've ever taken. *sigh* Just a few more weeks to go!

Finally, I got a new hot air popcorn popper today because I eat so much popcorn and sometimes the artificial flavoring and too much butter upset my stomach. I'll have to give it a test drive tonight :) See ya later alligators!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home