Friday, February 04, 2005

So it's midnight on Thursday and I'm sitting here all alone in my apartment with an overwhelming urge to dump off some of my emotional baggage. I just got back from seeing Hotel Rwanda with Steph and my heart is still racing. The film is an unapologetic and terrifying look at the Rwandan massacre of 1994 (about which I self-admittedly and shamefully know very little) and one man's desperate attempt to save both Hutu and Tutsi refugees in his four star hotel. Not being one to stomach violence very well, I think I'll have a hell of a time falling asleep tonight. I am, however, very glad I saw the movie and feel even more compelled to educate myself on the brutal genocide that occurred in Rwanda in 1994 and continues to insidiously manifest itself today around the world. *sigh* Sometimes I feel so helpless.

Eureka! What an appropriate segue into my brief thoughts on the State of the Union address last night. I did not watch the actual address because I decided that I couldn't possibly take 2 hours of Bush congratulating himself and his administration and then figuratively revising our country's Constitution as if it were magnetic poetry--rather, I opted for reading the highlights this morning. In response to Dubya's (read: some one else's) genious idea to privatize social security, lets just say that I've devised a plan to determine which of my future patients voted for Bush, give their children bad tooth-brushing/flossing/anti-pop instructions, fill every one of their cavities at an exorbitant rate, and privatize my own social security if you catch my drift. Ha!

In other news, my pal Carrie's gorgeous mug made the front page of the Michigan Daily for her thoughtful and interesting quotes on why fewer students are studying abroad these days. Carrie spent last winter term in Cape Town, South Africa and came back to the States a more worldly and culturally appreciative person. Cheers, Carrie, for making a trek few can and for having a really cute picture on the front of the Daily!


I think I'll try to get some sleep now. It certainly won't be easy with a thousand thoughts racing through my head. Perhaps some Ravi Shankar will help.

Sweet dreams tonight. I hope.

xoxox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home