Sunday, April 22, 2007

Love thy Mother...

...Earth, that is!



Today, April 22nd, was Earth Day, a day to spread eco-conscientiousness by living and encouraging an eco-friendly lifestyle, something we should all do every day. I know at times it seems like one person's actions can't possibly make a difference against the effects of pollution and global warming. I do believe, however, that our small, collective changes as a world community toward sustainable lifestyles can make a difference. I can't exactly buy the hybrid car or eco-friendly house that I want quite yet but I do try to be a little greener in my every day life. Here are some small, Earth-friendly changes that Josh and I have made in our lives so far. Try them if you need a good jumping-off point:

- think about whether you really need a bag at the store; if not, say "no thanks"

- carpool or use public transportation if possible; if you have to drive, don't leave your car idling

- think about going vegetarian!

- don't grab a coffee cup sleeve if you don't need it; I usually find it to be unnecessary once I think about it;

- use cold water to wash your clothes

- turn off your computer at nighttime

- pack your lunch snacks in tupperware instead of plastic baggies, all packed in a reusable lunch bag

- recycle!


Those are just some starter ideas but you can find more (and calculate your personal CO2 impact) here.

Politics aside, it is all of our duty to work to heal the damage we and generations before us have perpetrated on the Earth. We know now that our resources are not boundless and that our actions are not without consequence. However, we also know that a tiny bit of change goes a long way and that being green is now easier than ever, whether that means buying a hybrid or just carrying out your bananas and receipt in your hand.

What did you do to help the Earth today? What will you do tomorrow?

xoxox

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Your post made me think ... I try not to take a bag at the store unless I need one.

I used to work in retail. I can just imagine myself doing it now ... "You don't really need a bag, do you?" :)

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home