Thursday, May 06, 2004

Howdy folks. Today I had a productive day for the first time in about a week. I ran this morning, went out for sushi with Josh and Andy for lunch, went to the post office, finished my passport application, did some Master's programs research (*just* poking my nose around for back-up plans...I'm being REAListic, not pessimistic), went grocery shopping, finished some emailing AND talked to my cousin! Hooray! It feels good to scratch things off of my to-do list which keeps growing and growing now that I'm in supposedly in the "real world." I think I'll sleep well tonight :) Tomorrow I meet with the professor whose research I'm working on - hopefully tomorrow we'll figure out when my first day in the lab will be. Here's hoping I start next Monday so that I can head back to GR for the weekend and spend some quality time with the parents...and get cooked for! Yesterday morning I attended a U of M "New Hire" orientation at which a variety of programs and benefits were explained to those of us who are joining the U of M team this spring. I heard about MFit, the employee fitness and well-being program (sign me up!), the Employee Assitance Program which provides free and confidential psychological counseling (sign me up, again! Hehe!), parking fees and permits (Oy. Thank goodness for mass transportation), all about my medical and dental benefits AND finally, the retirement plan through U of M. I'm not kidding, I got SO pumped yesterday to start saving for my retirement, like, this second. They really did a wonderful job of presenting and selling the U of M retirement plan to 20-something schmucks like me; that's certainly not to say that it's not a wonderful thing to start thinking about, it's just that I need to pay my cell phone bill and rent before I can start deciding in which funds I wish to invest. My Dad said that I must have heard them incorrectly and that they were actually encouraging me to start saving for my parents' retirement. Ahhhh - I'll be sure to keep a little piggy bank on the side for you and Mom, Dad! *wink, wink* I'm excited to start my new job :)

Last night we *finally* used the s'more maker that Josh's family gave me for my birthday. I can't believe it's been sitting in my closet for almost 8 months - it was so much fun! Even though I've sunken to the new low of having to keep the left-over Hershey's bar out of reach, we had a fun time making s'mores while watching the basketball game last night. Here are a few pics:


Bring on the marshmallows. Rar!



AJ is always excited about chocolate!



Josh likes his 'mallow burnt to a crisp



"Let us duel to decide who roasts their marshmallow first. But only if we must"



I wish every night was s'mores night :) Sweet dreams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home