Saturday, May 08, 2004

Wow. Sorry I haven't posted in a while, things have been pretty fast-paced for me lately. Most significantly, I started my job this past Thursday albeit somewhat unexpectedly. Nevertheless, it was very interesting and exciting to finally see the lab where I'll working for the next year or so. It is located in the Cancer Center on the U of M Medical Campus because all of the research is being done on oral cancer cells. It's not as though I'm doing my own research at this point, but it's cool being a research assistant in such an important field. Basically, my job is to get the whole blood and tissue samples from the Clinic and OR of people having surgery on oral tumors, separate and prepare the samples, and then catalogue them in a vast database for cancer cells from which researches from all over the country can request specific cell lines. In that case, I have to thaw the cells and make new cell lines to send to them. Interesting! :) It's a little intimidating for me, having kind of poor lab technique (shhh - nobody needs to know that!), to be working so closely with such important and valuable blood and tissue samples. Each tiny 1.5 mL vial costs the University something like 500 buckaroos, which makes me nervous, but I'm sure I will become much more comfortable and confident with a little practice. Anyhow, it feels good to be starting work and...I kind of like taking the bus...but keep that one under your hat.

So after a pretty exciting week, I'm back in GR for the weekend hanging out with my parents. My mom cooked up a storm as usual, which rocks because I've been craving some Indian food like what. She also baked me chocolate chip cookies today...mmmmmm. I like coming home and getting pampered, especially when my sister is out of town and I get all of the attention :) Anyhow, it's nice to just relax. I officially registered for the DAT this afternoon and the big date is JULY 12, so mark you calendars. Taking the DAT will be a big burden off of my shoulder once it's over...I can't wait. Also, I got my passport picture taken today. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just completely nonphotogenic. I'd like to think I'm a lot prettier than my picture turned out in which, in my opinion, it appears as though a small dog has landed and died on top of my head. I wish my hair would grow out more quickly :( Oh well. On a similar note, I had to take a picture for my U of M Health System ID card for which, little did I know, I had to trade in my classic Mcard. I'm so sad - very few people still have the old school Mcard with the white background that was only made up until the fall of 2000, me being one of the last. I didn't even get to say goodbye :( *sigh*

Well....that's about it for me lately. Things have been pretty busy and I suspect most of May will be the same. Expect exciting posts about work, graduation parties, DAT studying, the VanDyke Brothers Annual Boat Party, and weddings to ensue. Have a great weekend! :D

*Quote of the day*
(with respect to my horrendous passport photo)

Me: Ewww, Mom! I look like a worm with hair.
Mom: Sonya, stop complaining. You're starting to sound like me complaining to you about my hair. God, it's annoying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home