Sunday, June 06, 2004

It's pretty difficult for me to be impartial, but let me just note that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was fantastic! I *loved* it. I've heard a lot of criticism that the movie leaves out too many important parts of the book and that its tone isn't as candy-coated as the first two, but I personally find these factors to be strengths. As the stories get longer and more complex, the director has to make some tough decisions about what to omit and I think Cuaron did a great job of that. Furthermore, the darker setting and tone of the movie seemed appropriate as Harry grows into his character and foreshadows the pretty scary and heavy themes to come in the next movie. Finally, the actual cinematography was very well done in my opinion and helped this movie to stand on its own as a film and not just the "movie version" of Harry Potter. Okay, I'm done :)

Anyhow, I really enjoyed the movie and am very excited to see what they do with the Goblet of Fire movie, since it is my favorite book so far. Besides Harry, I haven't done too much else this weekend. I studied all day yesterday and that's the plan for today too...well...until the Piston's game at 8:30, that is. C'mon, it's the Finals! I'm waiting right now for Kaplan to open so that I can go take some more practice tests and then it's the end of Biology and the start of Orgo tonight. Yuck! But despite studying, it's been nice to just have a low-key weekend. I'm starting in a different lab tomorrow at the Dental School for work and will now begin splitting my time between there and the Cancer Center each day, so cross your fingers for me that it goes well. I think I'll be running some pretty involved tests and it will be interesting to learn how to do them. All in all, this is great experience for me and will definitely be a strong conversation topic if I get to interviews for D-school. Alright, I guess that's about it. I'll leave quoting an exchange I had this morning with my dad regarding my passport (and horrendous picture) that came in the mail. My family is so merciless:

Dad: Sonya, either the FBI is looking for you or your passport came in the mail. Do you want me to open it just to make sure everything is okay?
Me: Okay, sure. You might want to shield your eyes, though; my picture is really bad.
*pause*
Dad: Well, everything looks okay...but the FBI should arrest you just for this picture.
Me: Dad!
Dad: Oh, and here's your birth certificate, but it looks like there's a mistake...
Me: What?
Dad: Well...mother is Gouri Palit, that's right. But father...I'm going to have to scratch that out. I don't want to take responsibility for that picture.
Me: Dad! That is so mean!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home