Sunday, July 18, 2004

This was written by my sister - I couldn't have said it better myself:
 
A LEGACY OF LOVE
 
Sadly, I learned late last night that my paternal grandmother had passed away in India. She was 87 years old.All of we grandchildren call her "Ogo," a pet name that our Dadu (grandfather) gave her. A "domestic engineer" all her life, Ogo bore and raised five children and stood proudly by my grandfather's side as he traveled the world lecturing and researching at universities world-wide, from Stanford to the University of Ghana in West Africa. She was a strong woman who ran an efficient household, even until the last years of her life. Our family legend even involves Ogo's run-in with a cobra that had somehow gotten inside our house in Calcutta. That cobra is now sitting on a window sill coiled in a glass jar, preserved in a chemical cocktail that my Dadu  dreamed up. I've seen it, and photographed it.
 
Ogo was strong, but gentle. She sacrificed, yet she had conviction. She was kind to everyone she met, and she seemed to love people of all cultures. Many a "bideshi" (foreigner) has been a guest in her home. When she reached her later years, Ogo began to develop a pigment disorder, and large portions of her body lost their color and became white. It gave her a somewhat "spotted" appearance, which I always found benign and endearing. Now that I think about it, I've never known a non-spotted Ogo...I guess it would seem strange to me to have a uni-color grandmother!
 
I was fortunate enough to have seen my grandmother last year. I visited Calcutta several times between January and April of 2003. I was next door in Dhaka, Bangladesh doing an internship and crashed at Ogo's flat.  I would tell her of my Bangladesh adventures, recount stories, sing songs, and do impersonations. She said I was "exactly like her Bobby" (my Dad). Below is a picture with Ogo, my two paternal aunts (her daughters), and myself. We were sitting in Ogo's bedroom in Calcutta. I feel incredibly blessed to have had the fortune to be there. Before last year, I hadn't visited my family in India for TEN years...
 
Both now passed on, My Ogo and Dadu leave behind a strong legacy--a legacy of selflessness, charity, and love. I hope that we as the new generation can carry on their legacy in our relationships with each other, in our professions, and in our lives. 
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home