Saturday, February 12, 2005

Friday Night Insights

I thought I'd check in and jot down a few thoughts before I hit the hay:

1.) Freddy and Kendra, the engaged models, won the Amazing Race this past Tuesday instead of my favorite team of Kris and Jon. Is there no justice in this world? The snobs who used words like "disgusting" and "squalor" to describe countries like Senegal and Ethiopia walk away with a cool mil? *sigh* Of course I cried...just like at the end of every other episode since I've been watching the show. One day Josh and I are going to win the Amazing Race and we'll be wearing t-shirts with "KRIS" and "JON" on the back of them as we collect our prize money.

2.) As a little circa-Valentine's date, Josh and I went out to a fancy dinner tonight at Zanzibar and then saw the School of Music's production of Romeo and Juliet. I can't express how much I adore Shakespeare and although made famous by 10th grade English classes the world over, some of the couplets from the play were just as moving to hear the 80th time as they were the first.

3.) Today was my last day working in the Tissue Core at the UM Cancer Center. 'Nough said.

4.) Damn that catchy Kelly Clarkson and her cookie-cutter pop songs. I want to hate her music so much because I can't stand the idea of supporting an "artist" who was literally molded into an "artist" before our very eyes. That said, I can't get that "Since You've Been Gone" nonsense song out of my head.

5.) Beloved and world-renowned playwright Arthur Miller passed away this morning much to my dismay. I first read The Crucible and saw Death of a Salesman with my Daddy at the GR Civic Theatre when I was in high school and even then I think I understood how brilliant he truly was. We Wolverines can take pride in the fact that he was a U of M alum. I'll sign off tonight with this great quote from Arthur Miller on his experiences here:

"But political facts were not all I learned. I learned that under certain atmospheric conditions you could ice-skate up and down all the streets in Ann Arbor at night. I learned that toward June you could swim in a certain place without a suit on and that the Arboretum, a tract of land where the botanists studied plants and trees, was also good for anatomical studies, particularly in spring under a moon. I had come to school believing that professors were objective repositories of factual knowledge; I found that they were not only fallible but some of them were damn fools and enough of them seekers and questioners to make talking with them a long-lasting memory."


Sweet dreams.

xoxox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home