Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What's white, furry, and shaped like a tooth?

I think Josh and I finally found the solution to our internet woes as of late -- it's a wonderful little invention called Firefox, some of you may be familiar. Anyway, here's hoping I blog a little more consistently now that my connection won't peter out every 35 seconds. Yeah, riiiiiiiggghhht.

At any rate, I'm just getting re-adjusted after a glorious vacation last week which I spent mostly in Bland, er, Grand Rapids. My mom was scheduled to return from her stay in India and my newly Masters Degreed-sister is currently at the ol' nest job searching so I thought I'd get in some quality family time. My Dad was around the entire week too but much of his time was spent pursuing a very Caddy Shack-esque endeavor. Much to his chagrin, the squirrel family in my backyard has been capitalizing on our voluminous bird feeder for years. I personally believe that the lost bird seed is a small cost compared to helping a family survive the harsh winters. My Dad, on the other hand, has his own suspicions ("believe me, they're selling that birdseed back to Meijer for a profit, I know it"). The "slide" he constructed upon which he envisioned the poor squirrels losing their footing didn't quite go as planned. He might as well have built them an elevator; by the end of the week, the little buggers were so empowered that they had taken to sunning themselves on the deck rails just to spite him ("that one's eyeing me down, Sonya, look!"):


Dad vs. Squirrel



Dad: 0, Squirrel: 1


All in all, it was a nice week with my family. I got to catch up on a little sleep and spend a lot of time with Harry Potter on the deck (let the mania begin! Who wants to see the movie tomorrow night?) Thankfully, my Mom made it back from India okay even though her original flight was canceled due to torrential monsoon rains. I even got some homemade Indian food to boot!

Now I'm resting up after our summer softball season opener. We played a double header (against 2 of the other teams from our class). My team from last year grew so much that we had to split into 2 teams and I am now officially a member of The Molar Bears. Hopefully we're not heading for extinction after our double header next Wednesday night (yuk, yuk, yuk)!

That's all I got folks: corny extinction jokes and squirrel stories. Stick with me, it'll get better.

xoxox

p.s. ~ I saw this at Walgreens and had to buy it for my Dad. It's "The King Size" Reese's cups filled with Elvis' favorite: peanut butter and banana creme (PBBC's were his fave sandwich). Naturally, my Dad accepted my gift with a "Thank you, thankyouverymuch."

3 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

Sonya - hilarious post! I love the narrative of your dad's bird feeder fence. I could hear him saying that!!!! :) Alright, off to electronically stalk other family/friends of Tanya!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Sonya, you are a great story-teller. Keep 'em coming!

11:35 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Your dad needs a Yankee Flipper bird feeder. Google it.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home