Friday, August 10, 2007

Dry socket to me!



Perhaps I jumped the gun a little early in my April 16th post; it's actually now that school's out for the summer. Technically, school's been "out" since August 1st but as I mentioned before, I chose to do a 2 week head start rotation in the oral surgery department. It was kind of slow and yucky at times but overall I learned a lot and also did my first dozen or so extractions! I'll tell you, of all the wild and technique-sensitive dentistry I've learned, extractions are perhaps the most unnerving because there's just no undoing a screw up. Let's just say I double and triple checked which tooth I was supposed to be taking out!

In other news, my sister has returned to Beantown after a brief stint in Grand Rapids to start a new job next week. She'll be working for a non-profit organization called Akshaya Patra that provides mid-day meals to malnourished school children throughout India. I couldn't be more proud of her and am looking forward to watching her career grow and evolve with her changing interests and experiences. I'm also thrilled to have a base in Boston again--I plan on visiting the New England area a lot in the months to come as I start my search for post-graduation opportunities. Yikes!

I went home last weekend to spend some quality time with my parents, my pupster, and my sister before she left. We did a whole lotta nothing which is the way it should be when you're home. My Mom made some sweeeeeet homemade vegetarian Swedish meatballs for me which had been on my mind since I jealously watched Josh devour a plate of the real deal at IKEA a few weekends prior. I just love me some Swedish meatballs.

I did whip out the camera twice during the weekend, once for a brief photo shoot with Raja...:



...and another time to snag a picture of this unfortunately named restaurant next to my sister's tailor:



Ah, Grand Rapids. Speaking of my old stomping grounds, Josh and I are scheduled next weekend for our annual East Kentwood High School camping trip at Bruin Lake. It looks like some of my friends from good ol' EK who haven't been able to make it in years past are in for this year and I'm looking forward to it. We haven't even pulled the tent out of the storage unit yet this summer! Here's to two and a half days of dirty feet, smelling like smoke, and burning the roof of your mouth on hobo pies. Hooray!

I'll check in later during my mini vacay with pictures. Perhaps there will be one or two of the CN Tower if Josh and I can swing a last-minute, el cheapo trip to Toronto.

Au revoir!

xoxox

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Oh my GOD!!! BM??? Wow. I bet they slapped their foreheads more than once after erecting that sign.

Extractions!??? Yow.

And I thought of you today, as I had ice cream for lunch.

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home