Friday, July 01, 2005

Helloooo Friday and helloooooo long holiday weekend! Here are a few quick thoughts and then the Friday Fiver. Special thanks to Emily, Tanya, and Katie whose comments reminded me that I am e-loved :)

1.) Josh and I made bruschetta, tried a new wine, and played "speed chess" last night (his suggestion, not mine) where every move is made in 15 seconds or less. Now, I'm not a competitive person but I will admit to being slightly miffed when, after I took his queen in less than 8 moves, he slighted the game instead of acknowledging my strategy by saying: "See, that's the thing with playing fast like this. You make mistakes you wouldn't otherwise." E-excuse me? The nerve!

2.) Last night we also pontificated on the celebration of Fourth of July. I concluded that even though I am on the brink of becoming an ex-pat thanks to the current administration, I have a deep and unwavering reverence for the principles upon which this nation was built. This country was conceived on notions of freedom from persecution and defiance of empirical entitlement. The founders of the United States felt so passionate about civil liberty that they crafted a dynamic and impressive outline for them in the Consitution that has only been amended 27 times in 230 years. This Fourth of July, I plan to celebrate the true, original spirit of America--a spirit that embraces political dissent and critical thinking and creates a discourse around them. Although somedays I've already moved to Sweden in my mind, I'd never really forsake the freedoms and foresight for which the United States truly stands.

Okay, it's F-F-friday Fiver time! The title is Lets Talk About Debt, Baby:

1. Who do you owe? Oh boy, this one's a doozy considering I just got approved for $46,000 in loans for my first, yes first, year of dental school. Basically, by the time I'm done with school, I'll owe the government my soul and my first born but hey, who's counting?

2. Does anyone owe you? I don't think so.

3. How many credit cards to you have? I have three credit cards, two of which are active. I despise spending money that I technically don't have--I actually feel kind of sick when I use my credit card. I only use them to purchase plane tickets and most recently to book our cruise. Yahoo!

4. Do you care about national debt? Of course I do! And everyone should. There doesn't seem to be much accountability for fiscal callousness in this country anymore. Did anyone see that ABC News story on the new, multi-million dollar "border protection" cameras? At any given time, 10-25% of them aren't working. New cameras are being purchased...for 2.5 billion tax dollars. Ha!

5. Would your friends be surprised if they accidently saw the balance in your checkbook? No. I'm meticulous about my spending and I think that's pretty consistent with my personality. I'm no cheapskate (and I don't skimp on groceries or medication, Mom and Dad!) but I have to think about my credit and financial future. I might be buying a practice some day! *shudder*

Fun! If you feel so inclined, send me your answers...you have a three day weekend to write them :) TGIF!

xoxox

1 Comments:

Blogger TKP said...

Tanya responds to "Let's Talk About Debt, Baby."

1. Who do I owe? Soon to be on the shit list of Uncle Sam, I've successfully avoided taking any major loans during my 24 year run...except for the roughly 1.2 million dollars Mom and Dad have spent on me since birth.

2. Does anyone owe you? I know a certain sibling who needs to cough up buku bucks for Birthday gifts, Christmas presents, Mother's and Father's day surprises...you know who you are...

3. How many credit cards? I think 'credit card' refers to that plastic flat thing in my wallet that I keep on losing.

4. Do I care about national debt? I would if I were living in Sub Saharan Africa...

5. Would my friends be surprised at my checkbook? I'm going to say 'YES' here, and I'd like to trade the word "surprised" for "horrified". If they glanced into my check book the entries would look something like this: "August 12, '04, $21.07 at Meijer...September 18, '04 $200 or so for Bangladesh visa...February something, '05, $400 to American Club, Dhaka...May 15 or so...a bunch of money to this one guy."

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home